Visitors to St. Armands Circle today find a wide variety of shops, restaurants and beautiful homes. But, before the 1920's, St. Armands was a tropical island only accessible by boat. St. Armands' first homesteader, Charles A. St. Amand, came to the key in the late 1880's to fish and grow vegetables. In 1893, St. Amand filed a government claim for 131 acres encompassing a three island tract and was granted a homestead deed. He cleared one acre of land, built a small shack and claimed his land for a $13.00 fee. He sold the land in 1894 for $1,500 to Augus McInnes. Between 1895 and 1917, the land was sold several times. During that time an "R" was added to St. Amand's name by mistake. E. M. Abogast sold the key to the man who would lay the groundwork for St. Armands, John Ringling.